Monday, July 23, 2012

Chapter Ten Reflection


1.    How do you know that students understand a concept?
Graphic organizer is a unique and creative way besides just supplying your students with just a verbal lecture and text. Graphic organizers seem to help students to learn the information instead just putting memorized information into the file cabinet in the back of their mind and forgetting about it.  I think that all the information we gain throughout life is all connected.  It helps me to see how one piece of information is connected to the other, and I am sure it is the same way for students. If students are able to make these connections, they are learning the material compared to just memorizing it.
2.    How can you depict student misconceptions of key information?
With graphic organizers as part of the lecture, students see ways to connect the material to one another.  The graphic organizer divide items in small areas the given the students an idea of the different parts of the material.  To have the student complete a graphic organizer make to students think and connect to information as how they see it.  A teacher could go around, compare, and contrast how the students grouped information.  This will allow the teacher to see how the students think and correct any information if needed.
3.    How can students capture and transfer brainstorming ideas into written thoughts?
I think students can capture their thoughts in different ways.  If I am brainstorming, I draw arrows, doddle, and write random words and phrases.  This information makes sense to me, but may make no sense to others.  It would be difficult to have students brainstorm as a large group.  If I was sitting up a brainstorm activity, class wide.  I would allow time for students to collect their thoughts and turn it into a time to think-pair-(group)-share.  I think this will allow group brainstorming is more affective and students decide the best ideas as they talk and share with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment