Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Chapter Four Reflection


1.    There are so many types of software; how do I know which one to include in my lessons?
Categories of Software
Type of Software per category
How I would use it in my classroom.
Productivity
Digital editing software
Using this software would be very beneficial in a special education classroom.  These elementary students, especially K-2, like to have books read aloud to them.  The teacher could record his /her voice while reading the story.  In addition, I think that it would be great if the students recorded themselves reading.  This software would allow the students to be creative and have fun with reading.
Research
Browsers
I liked the idea that the text presented.  They stated that the teacher could personalize the browser on each classroom computer to express his/her class.  I think that is a great way to get your students started when getting ready to use the internet in the classroom.  I could have links and website bookmarked that I want to look at or gain additional information for that lesson.
Communication
Blogs
I really want to setup a classroom blog when I have a classroom.  It allows  a chance for other teachers to see the things going on in your classroom as well as a to inform parents of the things your child is going at school.  I remember reading form other source about a teacher who each day has a different student in the classroom to be responsible for writing on the classroom blog and taking pictures.  I thought this would be a great idea!
Problem-Solving
Simulations
I thought simulations would be a great way to get your students connected to the real world.  I thought get would be great especially with students for learning about science and social studies.  It allows them to see these thing from a real-life perspective compared to just reading it from a book.  I think that it would be great to allow all the students interaction together using the manipulate variables via the SMART board.
Educational Software
Tutorials
Tutorials allow another way to introduce information, let students practice the skill, and receive feedback.  Teachers need to have different avenues and ways to teach students information so they become interested in learning new things.  If the teacher is, always presenting the information in the same way students are going to became bored and tune-out what is being taught to them.  With that being said, I do not think that teachers could ways use tutorials, but supplement them within your lesson plans with other teaching styles.

2.    I understand why students should use educational software and the Internet, but why should my fourth-grade students learn to use spreadsheet, database, or video editing software?
NETs Standards
Grades 3–5 (Ages 8–11)
The following experiences with technology and digital resources are examples of learning activities students might engage in during grades 3–5 (ages 8–11):
1. Produce a media-rich digital story about a significant local event based on first-person interviews. (1,2,3,4)
2. Use digital imaging technology to modify or create works of art for use in a digital presentation. (1,2,6)
3. Recognize bias in digital resources while researching an environmental issue with guidance from the teacher. (3,4)
 4. Select and apply digital tools to collect, organize, and analyze data to evaluate theories or test hypotheses. (3,4,6)
 5. Identify and investigate a global issue and generate possible solutions using digital tools and resources (3,4)
 6. Conduct science experiments using digital instruments and measurement devices. (4,6)
 7. Conceptualize, guide, and manage individual or group learning projects using digital planning tools with teacher support. (4,6)
 8. Practice injury prevention by applying a variety of ergonomic strategies when using technology. (5)
 9. Debate the effect of existing and emerging technologies on individuals, society, and the global community. (5,6)
10. Apply previous knowledge of digital technology operations to analyze and solve current hardware and software problems. (4,6)
ISTE. (2011). NETS. Retrieved from International Society for Technology in Education: http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-students/nets-for-students-2007-profiles.aspx
                                               
Standard
Software used to meet standard
1. media-rich digital story
To create a media-rich digital story the student will need to know how to use a variety of different productive forms of software to present the different types of information they gain these include word processor, spreadsheet, database, presentation, graphic software, and digital audio and video editing software.
2. digital imaging technology & digital presentation
Digital imaging would include presentations like PowerPoint that would have graphic software included.  Also, students also could present information using videos needing video editing software.
4. digital tools to collect, organize, and analyze data
You need the internet to collect information. Spreadsheets and databases are needed to organize and analyze the data.
5. investigate a global issue & digital tools and resources
To investigate issues and finding resources students will need to use the internet search engines to find the information they need to complete the work.
7. Conceptualize, guide, and manage individual or group learning projects
Graphic organizers would be use to reach this standard.  Students would be able to visualize map out their thoughts and process by creating models and concept maps.
                                               
                                                Students should learn to use spreadsheet, databases, and video-editing software because these are types of software that are directly connected to the ISTE NET standards as shown in the table I created above.
3.    How can students use different types of software help improve scores on state test?
These are links to the common core standards for NC in English and Math:
As a special education major, I could teach from K-12.  I hope to teach in an elementary self-contained classroom.  I would love to teach mainly students who are K-2. Based on the students I have interacted with, I do not believe that word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and PowerPoint would benefit the student if they were asked to use these programs by themselves.  I think that using PowerPoint slides and have the student add pictures and some words (advised in the textbook) would help them gain better vocabulary.  I think that digital audio and video editing would add creatively into the classroom and engage students in learning.  I think that email and blogs are great for allow parents to feeling connected, which in turn the students will be have higher academic achievements.  The students love games; I have been around students as they enjoy playing educational games on starfall.com, abcya.com and readingeggs.com.    Some studies have shown that exceptional children have benefited a lot from educational software as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment