Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Chapter Six Reflection


1.    Now that I have access to the web, how can I use it effectively?
Internet Tools
Functions
Search engines
Searching for information
Identifying reliable sources
Finding useful information
Google Docs
Sharing documents
Present information using the internet
Email
Informing
Sharing information
Learn information directly from through written words
Web-based Phone calls
Talk with others through the internet
Interacting with whole class through audio only
Web-based Video Conferencing
Discussing information face to face via webcam
Make connect with others not located within your school (other schools, guest speakers, or experts)

2.    How do I manage students’ use of the web in my classroom?
Potential problems using the internet in the classroom:
Problem #1: Students cheating on test and quizzes giving on the computer.
Solution: (This is not likely to happen in elementary school classrooms, but I know for a fact that is happens in high schools and colleges.)  I would my students to be at an angle to where I could see their browser at all times.  If they are caught cheating they will receive a zero for the assignment and have a call home to their parents.  If is possible I would have software installed on the computers to lock the browser they cannot search the internet for answers, example software Respondus LockDown browser.
Problem #2: Students playing games instead of doing their work.
Solution: Once again I would that the desk at an angle to where I could see the computer screen to make sure the students stay on task.  As a reward for staying on task, I would allow the students to play school approved games for 10-15 minutes for a break.
Problem# 3: Students getting on websites that are against school policy.
Solution: If is an accident, student just clicked on something and some inappropriate came up, the student should minimize the window and approach the teacher promptly.  They would not have this held against them. The students are aware of things that should be talked about of viewed at school.  For example, students playing shooting games on the computer.  There should be a school wide policy that expresses consequences for what happens to student who break this rule.
3.    Which features of the web do I use?
Internet Tools
How I would use them
Search engines
I would use search engines for my personal use to find additional information of subject content and will as teaching methods.  For my students I would have them to use search engines to collect information for projects and answer the question of the day or week.
Skype
I would love to be able to have guest speaker to come to our classroom or have a web discussion with them.  Think that having guest speaker are great additional to a classroom.
Email
Email is a great way to keep parents informed on important information they need to know as well as allow parents a way to contact the teacher regarding questions.
Google Docs
I think Google Docs is more beneficial as a personal tool that would allow teachers to share information with one another as will has have information backed up in another location.

No comments:

Post a Comment